Wednesday 13 January 2021

30+ Yuri Gagarin Quotes

 Yuri Gagarin, the Russian cosmonaut and the first man to cross the realm of the earth is considered a hero for the entire mankind. He entered orbit on April 12, 1961; thus, making history. Let’s check out some of his renowned quotes.


  1. Mankind never gains anything without cost. There never has been a bloodless victory over nature. From a newspaper interview, a few weeks after the funeral of cosmonaut Komarov. As quoted in Space World, (1974) (10).

About Himself

  1. I could have gone on flying through space forever. As quoted in The New York Times (14 Apr 1958). From Dave English’s book – Slipping The Surly Bonds: Great Quotations on Flight.

  2. To be the first to enter the cosmos, to engage, single-handed, in an unprecedented duel with nature-could one dream of anything more? From remarks made prior to launch (12 Apr 1961), as quoted in Ulrike Landfester, Nina-Louisa Remuss, Kai-Uwe Schrogl and Jean-Claude Worms (eds.), Humans in Outer Space - Interdisciplinary Perspectives (2010), 225.

  3. If all those people are getting wet to welcome me, surely the least I can do is get wet too! Asking for the roof of his car to be put back despite the pouring rain, during his visit to Manchester (12 July 1961), as quoted in "Yuri Gagarin: Mankind's first giant leap" in The Economist (3 August 2011)

  4. I am watching the Earth. The visibility is good. I feel well and cheerful. The machine is functioning normally. Gagarin radioed messages on April 12, 1961.

  5. When they saw me in my space suit and the parachute dragging alongside as I walked, they started to back away in fear. I told them, don't be afraid, I am a Soviet like you, who has descended from space and I must find a telephone to call Moscow!  – on 12 April 1961, near the village of Smelovka.


                                    About Earth

  1. Circling the earth in the orbital spaceship I marvelled at the beauty of our planet. People of the world!! Let us safeguard and enhance this beauty-not destroy it. – Gagarin upon his return to Earth as the first person in space.

  2. The Earth is blue... how wonderful. It is amazing. – Gagarin during his first space flight.

  3. I saw for the first time the earth's shape. I could easily see the shores of continents, islands, great rivers, folds of the terrain, large bodies of water. The horizon is dark blue, smoothly turning to black. . . the feelings which filled me I can express with one word-joy.

  4. I could clearly discern the outlines of continents, islands and rivers. The horizon presents a sight of unusual beauty. A delicate blue halo surrounds the Earth, merging with the blackness of space in which the stars are bright and clear cut. Gagarin reported after his single orbit of the Earth on April 12, 1961.

  5. I see Earth! It is so beautiful.

  6. When I orbited the Earth in a spaceship, I saw for the first time how beautiful our planet is. Mankind, let us preserve and increase this beauty, and not destroy it!

  7. Looking at the earth from afar you realize it is too small for conflict and just big enough for co-operation.

  8. What beauty. I saw clouds and their light shadows on the distant dear earth…. The water looked like darkish, slightly gleaming spots…. When I watched the horizon, I saw the abrupt, contrasting transition from the earth’s light-colored surface to the absolutely black sky. I enjoyed the rich color spectrum of the earth. It is surrounded by a light blue aureole that gradually darkens, becoming turquiose, dark blue, violet, and finally coal black. Describing his view while making the first manned orbit of the earth (12 Apr 1961). As quoted in Don Knefel, Writing and Life: A Rhetoric for Nonfiction with Readings (1986), 93. Front Cover.

  9. Rays were blazing through the atmosphere of the earth, the horizon became bright orange, gradually passing into all the colors of the rainbow: from light blue to dark blue, to violet and then to black. What an indescribable gamut of colors! Just like the paintings of the artist Nicholas Roerich.



                                    About Space Flights

  1. Nothing will stop us. The road to the stars is steep and dangerous. But we're not afraid . . . Space flights can't be stopped. This isn't the work of one man or even a group of men. It is a historical process which mankind is carrying out in accordance with the natural laws of human development.

  2. Spaceflights can’t be stopped. This isn't the work of any one man or even a group of men. It is a historical process which mankind is carrying out in accordance with the natural laws of human development. As quoted in Space World (1974), 10

  3. I am happy to report to you that the assignment of the Central Committee of the Communist party of the Soviet Union and the Soviet Government has been carried out. The world's first space flight has been accomplished in the Soviet space ship Vostok. All systems and equipment worked impeccably, I feel very well and am prepared to carry out any assignment of the party and the government. Speech beside Khrushchev, at the tomb of Lenin and Stalin, Red Square, Moscow (14 Apr 1961).

About God

  1. I don't see any god up here first man in space, while in space.

  2. I looked and looked but I didn't see God.

  3. I see no god up here.

  4. The earth was blue but there was no god.

  5. I don't see any god up here.

About Cosmonauts

  1. The path of a cosmonaut is not an easy, triumphant march to glory. You have to get to know the meaning not just of joy but also of grief, before being allowed in the spacecraft cabin. In First Man in Space: The Life and Achievement of Yuri Gagarin: a Collection (1984), 104. Cited as written as a foreword of a book at the request of the author.

  2. It’s not for glory that Soviet cosmonauts are in this assault on the cosmos; they are motivated by a limitless love for and devotion to their country, the Party and the people, and by a desire to help Soviet scientists to discover the secrets of the universe. In First Man in Space: The Life and Achievement of Yuri Gagarin: a Collection (1984), 104. Cited as written as a foreword of a book at the request of the author.

From His Biography

  1. When you are in the air never doubt your equipment and don’t make hasty decisions. 

  2. I became part of the machine as a horseman probably feels one with his horse when he is riding at a stretch gallop. All the parts of the machine became transmitters of my will; the machine was obedient to my wishes and did whatever I wanted it to. 

  3. I became infected with a new disease, a disease the medicine has not yet found a name for—the irresistible urge to reach outer space. It was a vague, not fully recognized feeling, but it remained with me, bothered me and gave me no rest.

  4. We began, of course, with the theory of flight, the structure of an aircraft and its engine. For some time, we were even a bit disappointed by these boring lectures. We had thought we would go straight to the aerodrome and start flying.

  5. I am rather lacking in inches, I look a bit frail and cannot boast outstanding biceps. Some of the lads who were at the commission with me were not only tall, broad-shouldered and the very picture of health, they were simply bursting with vitality.

  6. The pressure was terrific! The eyes would not close, breathing was difficult, the muscles of the face were all twisted, the number of heartbeats increased, blood pressure also increased and the blood became as heavy as mercury.

  7. Sometimes you had to spend days on end in an isolated space of limited volume where you were completely cut off from the world. Not a sound, not a rustle. No movement of the air. Nothing, no one to speak to. From time to time, according to a certain schedule, you must send a radio message. This communication is one-sided. You send a message and do not know whether it has been received. You get no answer from anybody. And whatever happens nobody will come to your rescue. You are alone, absolutely alone and only yourself to rely on.

  8. I felt wonderful when the gravity pull began to disappear. I suddenly found I could do things much more easily than before. And it seemed as though my hands and legs and my whole body did not belong to me. They did not weigh anything. You neither sit nor lie, but just keep floating in the cabin. All the loose objects likewise float in the air and you watch them as in a dream.

  9. I saw a woman and a girl. They were standing beside a spotted calf and gazing at me with curiosity. I started walking towards them and they began to walk towards me. But the nearer they got to me the slower their steps became. I was still wearing my flaming orange spacesuit and they were probably frightened by it. They had never seen anything like it before.

No comments:

Post a Comment